April 18, 2014

Adam Found the Tree of Life


For many years I searched to find this place. The way
was watched by angels armed with swords;
and yet in seeking it I felt the Lord’s
love guiding me. With hope and fear, by grace
I made my way — I’m sure it was God’s will.
It was the Tree of Knowledge God forbade.
Its bitter fruit our innocence unmade;
had we kept faith we’d be in Eden still.
But this, the Tree of Life, was only lost
because we fell. In Paradise once more,
I looked upon the Tree, and what it bore.
The Tree had brought forth fruit, but at what cost!
I saw a wonder hanging from that Tree;
a man was nailed to it; he looked like me.

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG
1988





7 comments:

June Butler said...

Powerful and moving, both icon and poem. Thank you, Tobias.

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Most welcome, Mimi. Was up early this morning for an unexpected funeral at the local home; a bereft family seeking a priest to offer prayers for their mother. Not the way I expected to start Good Friday, but fitting. Now off to church for the midday observance, this year for the first time with our local Lutheran colleagues.

Peace and all good to you this day and ever....

Deacon Charlie Perrin said...

Very thoughtful and moving.

A Blessed and Happy Easter. I'm off to the Vigil.

Jesse said...

Quite remarkable, Tobias. Thank you. Perhaps you already well know Edwin Muir's poem "One foot in Eden"? It ends:

Strange blessings never in Paradise
Fall from these beclouded skies.

(And there is its exquisite musical setting by Nicholas Maw? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPDzqxEpnWk&t=10m50s)

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

You are welcome, Jesse, and thanks for pointing me to the Muir poem with which I was not familiar.
Easter joy...

JCF said...

Happy Easter, Tobias!

Off-topic: are you familiar w/ this?

http://www.convergentbooks.com/why-publish-god-and-the-gay-christian/

Apparently turning into a major brouhaha among the ConEvs, and ConEv publishing. Be interested in your take on the book (if you're so inclined), and what the book's publishing (and reaction) may mean---

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Yes, a bit off topic I dare say!

But I will take a look and see what it is about....