December 14, 2011

Have You Seen This?

I'm taking advantage of the Internet age to ask if anyone has come across this wood-carving that was part of a Gospel Book. It was used by the Brotherhood at its liturgies and stored at the friary of the Society of the Atonement, Graymoor, in Garrison New York when we were not using it. It went missing about a dozen years ago, and I thought now might be a time to ask if it has turned up anywhere. It's about 12 by 14 inches or so, carved in oak (or that color anyway), if I recall correctly, with touches of gold leaf here and there. It was my second effort at wood carving. I hope it is serving somewhere, as a Gospel Book cover or in some other sacred setting; but if anyone were to come across it, the Brotherhood would love to see it back in our use. Thanks to any for information.

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG

4 comments:

June Butler said...

I hope that through the internet the Brotherhood will somehow get the Gospel Book cover back. It's beautiful.

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Thanks, Mimi. It's always a bit heart-downing (I won't say breaking) when someone walks off with something that belongs to a church. My parish was robbed last year just around Christmas time as part of a string of church break-ins.

This carving disappeared, as I say, over a dozen years ago, but it might still turn up. If not, I at least hope it has a good home and proper use...

Lindy said...

It's a lovely carving, and I think it's great that you're looking for it. I have a feeling that this should be on a TV show, something like Missing Liturgical Items of the 20th Century. I'll bet there are lots of things like that which were stolen or otherwise misappropriated. Good luck. I hope you find it and that it has had an interesting journey.

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Thanks, Lindy. There's always eBay!