January 18, 2009

Thought for inauguration

The Last Token

Let not Barack Obama
be just another token,
pointed to as proof —
sign of one race's victory
or another's tolerance.

Let not this new beginning
be conceived of as an end,
as something we've accomplished;
for we still have far,
so very far, to go.

Rather let this be
a true inauguration,
a new beginning.

Let him not be
just one more sign or symbol,
but an efficacious sacramental presence;
real flesh and blood,
present and vocal:
to call us all
to sweat and tears,
to set our hands to work
to do the many tasks
that lie before us.

Let this be
the end of tokens,
signs and symbols of deceptive promise;
let this be
the inauguration,
not the benediction,
of our hopes.

Let this be
in form and substance
active and alive;
not contented evening,
but the hopeful dawn.

Tobias Haller BSG

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let the people say Amen!

Fran said...

Oh Tobias - this is really wonderful. I think I may post it, with all due credit of course.

You are a light my friend, you really are.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

For all your thoughts for two years, but especially for this poem. Thanks and God bless you. Lan

Sebastian said...

I found Bishop Robinson's prayer too bland. Your poetic prayer hits the mark so well. I too will post a link to it.

June Butler said...

Oh my! This one took my breath away, Tobias. I believe that I must use it too.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Amen, dear Tobias!

Doorman-Priest said...

Amen from me too. What more is to be said?

Russ Manley said...

Wow. Great poem, Tobias. I'd love to quote it on my blog, if I may?

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Thanks, Russ. Feel free to quote. --Tobias