November 3, 2008

The Election Gospel Challenge

OK, so we know there are going to be long lines at the polls tomorrow. I mentioned to my parishioners yesterday to remember to bring something to read while waiting in line. In one of those mot d'escalier moments it just occurred to me what they ought to be reading. So here is

The Election Gospel Challenge

Bring a Bible or New Testament with you when you go to the polls tomorrow. When you get in line, start reading at Matthew 1:1 and don't stop until you're at the point where you actually have to stop to sign in or do whatever is needed at your polling place. (If by any chance you get through Revelation, then start again at Genesis!) Note the verse at which you stop. Then let me know. The person who gets furthest along in the text will receive only the intangible reward of having your name listed in a blog post here, together with the verse -- which we hope will not be "Judas went and hanged himself" -- and a custom designed badge to place on your blog or web-site.

Tobias Haller BSG

8 comments:

WSJM said...

Oh shucks! I've already voted! We have early satellite voting in Iowa. For the first time in my memory we actually had to wait a few minutes for an available voting booth. Everyone expects the actual precinct polls to be packed tomorrow.

A friend of mine in Urbana (where they also have early voting) wrote that when he and his wife went to the voting station there was a very long line. One man near them in line, an African American, was showing signs of impatience and reluctance to wait. A friend of his, also an African American, came out of the polling place, went over to his friend, and said, "We've waited for this for 145 years. You can wait another 30 minutes."

Anonymous said...

Absentee voter, here (doing GOTV with Move On tomorrow... Um, "later today", that is)

Anonymous said...

Not fair! The entire state of Oregon votes by mail, I turned my ballot in on Oct. 18th!

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Well, I have to admit that for me this turned into a false alarm. I literally didn't have time to get my Bible out of my pocket this morning, as there was only one person ahead of me in what I could only call a "line" by the mathematical definition of something with two points!

I was a bit concerned at the lack of the crowd -- wondering if we were again suffering from Electile Dysfunction -- until the poll worker sighed as I sat down to sign in, and said she was exhausted. I asked why and she said that since they'd opened at 5 a.m. it had been very busy, and only had slacked off in the last half hour. (I was thre at 10:15). My guess is a lot of people went before work and many more will do so after work this evening. In NY the polls are open to 9 pm, so there's plenty of time.

So I can't be in the running for the Challenge, which I suppose is good, and allows me to be completely neutral!

PseudoPiskie said...

My neighbor and I waited for maybe 10 minutes in a line that was shorter than the last presidential election's and moving much faster this year. I suspect most of us vote in every election as the residents are primarily farmers and retired. People from 5 zip codes vote in our township building. The other dwellings are owned by cottagers who vote elsewhere.

Fran said...

I got to Matthew 1:2! No wait for me!!

Unknown said...

I took my NRSV with me when i went to vote. I was in the Polling place less than 3 minutes and my time was occupied answering a question or two and signing the book and then pushing the buttons. Didnt get much of a chance to read anything!

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Well, it looks like no one got deeply into the Gospel this time around -- a tribute to the efficiency of the volunteers who gave their time at the polling stations, no doubt. So I'll post the prize badge in another posting and anyone who wants to claim it is free to do so!